Monday, April 20, 2009

My First 10k

I did it.  I completed my first 10k!  First a video preview of how I was feeling before the race:


My fears were well founded.  I didn't finish last but I did finish next to last.  No worries from me though.  I'm very happy with my time.  1:14:01.   11:56 pace.   Speedy for me!   It was a miserable day with rain and wind coming right off of the lake.  My legs were cold the whole race.  There was one downside, one of the volunteers at the water station.   The course was a two loop course so I got to pass by twice.   He started off the second time by saying  "Didn't I see you four times already?"  then the best one " Can I call you a cab?"   Dude!!!!   At least I am out here running.  I just laughed at him.   I mean he is standing in the rain, but that was pretty uncalled for.   I wasn't that far back from the end of the pack.    

The plus side of a small race that you finish at the end of?   It's easy to spot your husband at the finish.  He was the only one!    Thanks for waiting in the cold Dave!  Love you!

I am sore today.  The course was rolling and I think I beat my quads up on the down hill.  I still forced myself to do a 3 mile run today to help loosen things up.

So there is another one next Sunday.  I may give it another try.  Hopefully this will have more than 55 runners in it and I'll do better than next to last.   


Stay tuned!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Hon. Love you too!

    This was one of the best races from a spectator's POV. The Start/Finish was right next to the lobby of one of the college buildings. My exposure to the cold was minimal.

    Some of the highlights:

    - College kids running the race (except waterboy) were very nice and offered me anything I wanted from the food table. They even had homemade brownies and cookies (which I saved for the runners).
    - Warm comfy lobby to wait in.
    - Starbucks Coffee Proudly served here.
    - Saw Holly at the halfway point with ease.
    - Watched the winner finish his 10k in 31:45 and calculated that it was fast. Then I got a bagel with Philly Brand Cream Cheese.
    - Listened to the Darius Rucker album. A little too country for me.
    - Played Animal Crossings Wild World on my Nintendo DS.
    - Watched my wife get up early on a cold and miserable Sunday to run for 6 miles in awful conditions. Dedicated to say the least....

    I hope next week's race is just as fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like kind of a brutal 10K, but you made good time!

    What race is next week?

    ReplyDelete